Protect Your Louisville, OH Home Against a Flood
If you live in a flood prone area, taking initiative-taking measures are necessary to protect your house and your valuables.
Below are a few tips before you experience a flood or water damage:
- Take pictures of your valuables for insurance inventory.
- Keep your valuables out of the basement so they are not in damage a flood water.
- Store your important documents in a waterproof container.
- Get flood insurance so you're protected against the damages of a flood.
- Create a digital version and save them on a secure thumb drive.
- Turn about your flood risk and the flood plan in your area of flood smart.gov.
- Sign up for local weather alerts.
- Raise your utilities electrical panels, water heater, furnace, etc. above the base flood elevation.
- Use a battery-back up for your sump pump in case it fails.
- Utilities are the number one reason that people file claims and most typically have to pay out-of-pocket because the claim is less than or equal to their deductible.
- Keep a supply of sandbags plywood, plastic sheeting, or lumber to protect homes and valuables from flooding.
It is crucial that homeowners are careful when it comes to flood waters, damage, and other forms of water damage in and around their structure. It’s not always safe because some water can be toxic or filled with bacteria, and many people end up hurt trying to clean up on their own. Safety first is always the answer, and that means calling for professional help when necessary. Missing even one area of moisture in any homes can create the perfect breading grounds for mold, mildew, and many other issues that cause more expensive repairs.
Visit https://www.SERVPROsoutheaststarkcounty.com/ more information on water damage. If you experience a water damage from a flood, please call our team at 330-823-4088.