How Much Does a Water Damage Cost to Fix in Canton, Ohio?
During a recent storm in Canton, Ohio a basement flooded. The estimator determined it to be a Category 2 water loss.
Your first thought after finding water damage in your Canton, Ohio home is “How much is this going to cost to fix.” Unfortunately, this is not an easy answer, since every water damage is different from the type of water, the extent of the damage to the source of the cause of loss To determine the cost of a water damage is to call a professional cleanup and restoration company.
A restoration company will need to investigate the damage to determine the cost usually using an Xactimate insurance program. Statistically, the average cost for flood damage restoration is $2,500. A small, clean water loss will often be around $1,000, while a large, black water loss (such as a flood) can be $5,000 or more. These costs are just for drying and restoring the property, it does not include any reconstruction such as replacing drywall, painting, or floor covering.
What does a water damage restoration company need to know before they can give a water damage estimate?
- The restoration company will identify the category and classification of water damage: This will determing how to restore your property based on industry guidelines. The level of contamination of the water will affect the specific restoration processes we use.
- Category 1: "Clean Water" – The water contains little or no contamination. This type of water damage usually comes from a broken pipe, or other water source. Rainwater can also be considered clean water.
- Category 2: "Grey Water" – The water is slightly contaminated. Water from a malfunctioning or broken appliance like a washing machine or dishwasher. The increased contamination presents some health risks. Many things can be saved in a grey water loss, but not carpet pad.
- Category 3: "Black Water" - This form of water is highly contaminated and filled with bacteria, fungi chemicals and more. It requires the greatest care in handling. Black water is usually sewage damaged by flooding or any type of natural disaster. Porous materials damaged by “black water” cannot normally be saved.
- The length of time the water has affected the area: A clean water loss or a grey water loss will degrade to a black water loss over time, depending on the temperature. Mold can begin to grow in 24-48 hours, so the longer a water loss goes before it is restored, the more likely mold will develop, which may bring additional problems and costs.
- The size of the affected area: The cost is determined by the total square footage of the water-damaged area and surfaces which include floors, walls, and ceilings.
- The affected surfaces: The costs are related to the varied materials damaged: floor coverings, furniture, wall materials, etc. A loss on an upper floor will often impact the floors below.
- The extent of the damage: How much water affected the total area.
- The type and amount of equipment: To properly dry the property, the type of water and extent of the damage determines what tools and equipment are needed to restore your property.
Do all restoration companies charge the same rates?
- If the loss is covered by your insurance company, then professional restoration companies use a standard pricing system and prices will be similar for the same amount of work.
- If the loss is not covered by insurance or if you decide not to file a claim, the restoration company may change the pricing to best fit the situation and your specific needs.
It is always important to call a restoration company to classify and clean up all water damage. SERVPRO of South & East Stark County, your locally owned and franchised SERVPRO team in Canton, Ohio can be reached at 330-823-4088 and is available 24/7 hours a day for emergency clean up and restoration.
Visit http://www.SERVPROsoutheaststarkcounty.com for more information on water damage and cleanup.
Why a Flood Cut is Necessary After a Water Damage
A flood cut was performed on the drywall in this bathroom after a sewage backup in Alliance, Ohio.
When you experience a severe water damage in your home or in your commercial building, it could leave your property in a state of disarray. To get the room back to preloss condition, a professional restoration company in Alliance, OH may need to cut out the drywall known as a flood cut. The reason this is called a flood cut is because the cut is made 12-18 inches above where the flood damage stops. It is done to facilitate drywall tear out. This will allow proper air flow to ensure thorough drying.
When a Flood Cut Is Necessary
- When the Water Is Contaminated by raw sewage, fecal matter, chemicals, or other forms of contamination.
- The water damage is too severe to save the wall.
- It isn't practical to dry out the wall without removing sections.
- When the walls contain insulation, because insulation cannot be dried out and still function properly as insulation.
How to Perform a Flood Cut
Step 1: Mark a straight line: Measure from the floor to a decided upon height. Make a mark at this height at various areas along the affected walls. Using a chalk line, connect the marks on the wall to create a straight line at the decided upon height.
Step 2: Using a utility knife cut along the chalk line. Score the line through the surface of the drywall all along this chalk line, cutting one half or three quarters of the way through the thickness of the drywall.
Step 3: Carefully loosen and remove the damaged drywall. Using a hammer carefully knock a small hole in the drywall below this line. Gently remove the drywall, by using the drywall as a handle. Move the drywall back and forth to loosen it from the studs behind.
Step 4: Remove any wet insulation. After all drywall is removed, completely discard any damp insulation. It is easy to be fooled by the moisture content of insulation. It may seem only slightly damp when in actuality it should be removed. If in doubt, remove all the insulation in the walls. It is one of the least expensive things to replace and it is worth removing it now to avoid the potential of leaving some moisture behind the walls.
Step 5: Place fans for 48-72 hours. After all the damaged material has been removed, place industrial fans strategically to increase air flow behind the walls. Leave the fans running for at least a few days so the studs and flooring can completely dry.
When doing any type of demolition work, including that described above, it is important to wear proper personal protective equipment, which include gloves, safety glasses, hard soled footwear, and hard hats. Remember to turn off all electrical circuits in the area that you will be removing drywall. It is good to consult with an electrician in any cases of flood damage since water and electricity can cause potentially serious dangers.
Call SERVPRO of South & East Stark County for Water Damage Restoration
When it comes to extreme water damage, calling a professional restoration company insures that your home will be properly dried to ensure your house is safe to live. If your home or business in Alliance, OH ends up flooding, call SERVPRO of South & East Stark County to evaluate, cleanup and remediate the water damage or visit www.SERVPROsoutheaststarkcounty.com for more information.
3 Top Causes of Winter Water Damage in Alliance, Ohio
Cold temperatures can cause winter storm and water damage to your Alliance, Ohio home.
Strong winds, snow, rain, and ice during the winter months can take a toll on a home. Cold temperatures can cause pipes to freeze and burst. It can also damage property by allowing moisture to enter and cause water damage and mold growth.
3 Top Causes of Winter Water Damage
1.) Burst Pipes - Most people believe pipes burst from expanding ice. Rather, pipes break and burst due to buildup of water pressure between the faucet/outlet and the ice blockage. Causes of this include uninsulated pipes or pipes that run along unheated areas of your home.
2.) Gutters - Gutters that have not been cleaned of their Fall debris hold water which in turn freezes and adds additional weight and ice buildup to the gutters. This prevents water on warmer days to naturally go into the gutter and down into the downspout. This is known as an ice dam, when you see those large icicles hanging from the gutter it's usually a good sign you may have an issue. When ice dams become worse the melted snow on warm days gets backed up on the ice dam causing water to pool up and go back up under your shingles into the interior of your home.
3.) Outdoor Water Sources - Remove all outside hoses, drain them and store inside. Shut off all valves that supply water to the outdoor spigots. Make sure after turning off the water supply shutoff valves you flush any remaining water out of the line to prevent a frozen and ruptured outdoor water spigot when you turn water on in the Spring.
It is important to clean and dry your home and any materials that become wet after a water damage. Calling a professional water mitigation company can dry out your structure quickly and effectively. After 24 hours mold can begin to grow if the water wasn’t properly removed. If mold is found it can sometimes be removed from non-porous areas, but if it grows on porous materials it may have to be replaced. Removing these materials in properly could spread the mold throughout a house. The team at SERVPRO of South & East Stark County have crews that are highly trained and IICRC certified in water and mold cleanup. Call us today at 330-823-3088.
Water Damage Restoration & Cleanup in Alliance, Ohio
SERVPRO equipment drying out a kitchen that had a pipe-break that caused major damage to a home in Alliance, Ohio.
Many of our water mitigation jobs are the result of interior, man-made, breaks or failures. Take a moment and consider all the areas in a home that may have a water damage in some capacity. Bathrooms have toilet and sink overflows, kitchens under the sink pipe-breaks, major appliances like a dishwasher or refrigerator can have a water line mishap, and do not forget your outside water spigots breaks - just to name a few.
It is important to know where your main water shut-off valve is in your home or business. When a water damage occurs, it is essential to turn off the main switch. Water can cause major damage and the quicker you can stop the easier and less costly the water cleanup and restoration will be. Local restoration companies have the knowledge and equipment to clean up the water damage. Trying to repair extensive water damage yourself could make the problem worse or not drying your areas completely could cause secondary damage such as the growth of mold.
Water damage in your home can cause damage to your structure. The following may need to be repaired or even replaced:
- Electrical wiring
For Water Damage Cleanup in Alliance, Ohio
When you choose SERVPRO South & East Stark County, you have a full-service restoration, cleanup, and construction company to help you through a water damage. With years of experience and training, they will quickly get your life back in order. Our crews follows a highly regulated processes to ensure that the water damage restoration not only is effective, but also provides a safe place for homeowners during the restoration process. Emergency services are available 24 hours a day – 7 days a week to restore your home to "Like it never even happened." Call SERVPRO of South & East Stark County your local water restoration and cleanup company in Alliance, Ohio at 330-823-4088!
3 Things to Do After a Home Fire in Alliance, Ohio
A fire in Alliance, Ohio caused severe damage to this home. The SERVPRO team cleaned and restored the home to preloss condition.
A home fire can be an emotionally and financially devastating event. There are many things to accomplish after disaster strikes. If you're unsure where to begin, consider these three crucial fire restoration tasks. Completing these steps can get you started on recovering your livelihood and peace of mind.
1. Call Your Insurance Company
If you have homeowners insurance, your plan might cover some of the costs involved in getting your home back to livable condition. Fire insurance on top of a general policy can be even more beneficial. Before attempting any repairs, call your insurance company to let your agent know about the fire and inquire about potential financial assistance.
2. Consult With the Experts
Enter your home alone and you might encounter heavy fumes and unsanitary debris. Recruiting professional fire restoration experts in Jackson Township, Ohio is a great way to stay safe and ensure the repair of your home is in good hands. Professionals can work on homes after all types of fires, accurately assess the damage and utilize advanced methods to get your residence back to pre-fire condition.
3. Board Up Windows
During the smoke cleaning process, you probably won't be staying at your residence. This leaves it vulnerable to threats, especially theft. Troublemakers might see a fire as an opportunity to loot your property, and they might look for ways to enter other than your front door. Boarding up your windows is a quick and effective way to keep them out.
Professionals can use plywood and clamps to cover your windows. Intruders won't be able to unscrew the material to enter your home. If you are still worried after getting your windows boarded, you might also consider temporarily removing all valuables from your home.
Following these three tips can eliminate stress resulting from a home fire. Proper fire restoration can get you on the road to living comfortably again in Alliance, Ohio in a short amount of time. Visit www.SERVPROsoutheaststarkcounty.com for more information on fire damage.
Tips To Help Prevent Mold Damage in Canton, Ohio
SERVPRO team remediated mold damage in a Canton, Ohio home.
Water damage and mold growth in Canton, Ohio are two problems that are common in homes. They can cause damage and be very costly to fix. Because of this, you want to do everything in your power to prevent them. Knowing the signs of their existence are also important so that you can catch them before they get too bad.
Quick Tips To Prevent the Growth of Mold
Preventing mold is a priority that every homeowner should have, and there are a number of tips that you can use to reduce the risk of mold happening in your home:
Keep humidity levels under control
Fix any plumbing issues as soon as you notice them
Make sure that you control all of your clutter
Ensure that your home has proper ventilation and air flow
Immediately cleanup any water or other wet items when a spill happens.
Knowing the Signs of Water Damage
Since water damage is a very common cause of mold, it is important that you know how to spot it. Remember that this type of damage is not always obvious. The following are considered to be common signs of this issue:
There are unpleasant odors due to stagnate water somewhere in your home
You can see mold growing somewhere
You notice that paint is peeling somewhere in your home, especially on drywall since moisture can make the paint lose adhesion
You start to notice stains on your ceilings and walls
The flooring in your home is wet, has an odd smell or is starting to lose its integrity
Your ceilings or walls are sagging
Make sure that you make note of this information. If you notice any water damage or mold growth, it is imperative that you immediately take action. With mold, preventing it from happening in the first place is the easiest way to help protect the integrity of your home. Visit https://www.SERVPROsoutheaststarkcounty.com for more information on mold damage.
Why Call SERVPRO of South & East Stark County for Insurance Damage Claims?
Call SERVPRO of South & East Stark County when you need immediate cleanup, restoration and construction after a disaster to your home or business.
When a home or business owner in the Stark County area needs clean up and restoration after a disaster the company you can trust is SERVPRO! Here are our services:
Water Damage Cleanup, Restoration and Repair
As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO South & East Stark County is close by and ready to respond to your flood or water damage emergency. As leaders in the water damage restoration industry, we have advanced training and expertise, not to mention a tremendous amount of hands-on experience with water damage. We use this training and experience to quickly dry your home and restore it back to pre-water-damage condition. Our process includes documentation of the drying process to validate your property is dry.
Fire Damage Restoration & Repair
When fire and water damage strikes, a fast response is critical. We are dedicated to responding immediately, day or night, to your Louisville home or business. A faster response helps to prevent secondary damage and to reduce cost. The aftermath of a fire is always devastating to your home or business. In many cases, your property and contents will experience more than just fire, soot, and smoke damage. Due to the firefighting efforts and the fire sprinkler system, your home is likely to suffer from water damage as well. Our team is qualified to restore and rebuild after a fire and water disaster.
Mold Remediation & Restoration
Mold has the potential to grow in less than 48 hours after a water damage. A minor mold issue can quickly spread through a home or business. Once you contact us, our team is dedicated to starting the remediation process quickly. This fast response will lessen the mold damage which will stop additional damage and will reduce the remediation cost. Mold can produce irritants and allergens that can be very harmful to you and the people around you. That is why it is crucial to call us as soon as you discover or suspect mold on your property
Storm Damage Cleanup & Restoration
Storm and flood damage require a quick response and our team of highly trained technicians will quickly get your Alliance property assessed, properly dried and back to pre-storm condition. Using advanced equipment and scientific drying techniques, we document the drying process to validate your home or business is ready.
The decontamination of a home or business due to trauma, sewage backups, chemical spills, hoarding or other biohazards can be both dangerous and emotional. Specialized training and experience is key when choosing a cleanup company to resolve these circumstances.
Cleaning and restoring commercial properties require a unique blend of training, experience, and equipment to get your Canton business back up and running. Our services include fire, water, and storm damage restoration, including electronics restoration and document drying.
Building and Reconstruction Services
When your home or business has been damaged by fire, water, or storm damage, the immediate concern should be temporary protective measures such as placing roof tarps to prevent additional damage and boarding up to secure the building and remove water and debris. After protecting and securing the structure, our team can begin the restoration a reconstruction work to get your property back to its preloss condition.
Our team is available 24 hours a day and we can cleanup, restore and rebuild any disaster to make it “Like it never even happened.” Call SERVPRO of South & East Stark County at 330-823-4088 or visit: www.SERVPROsoutheaststarkcounty.com.
5 Cleaning Tips for your Canton, Ohio Home
Check and clean your dryer vents to prevent a fire. If you experience a fire, call our professional team at 330-823-4088 to restore your home.
June is here in Canton, Ohio! As we become alive after a prolonged, cold winter, residents are busy preparing for the coming season by decluttering, cleaning and refreshing their interior and exterior living spaces. Below are 5 Summer Cleaning tips:
- Window Cleaning: Everyone enjoys the summer sun coming into their windows, but seeing spots, fingerprints, dust, and grime can be gross. To clean the exterior of your homes windows, you can use a mixture of dish soap, white vinegar, and water to get rid of dirt.
- Replace your HVAC’s air filters: It is important to replace your homes air filters especially after your furnace has run throughout the winter month. Changing the air filter every three months can help with allergies and air quality.
- Air Conditioning Unit: Get your air condition unit services by your local professional HVAC company to make sure that it runs throughout the warm summer months.
- Spruce up outdoor spaces: Keeping your outside looking clean and fresh, you will want to start by getting rid of any debris that might be left over from winter storms. To prevent water damage to your home clean and remove any leaves and debris.
- Vents, fans and compressors: Check and clean all bathroom vents and fans, vacuum out refrigerator compressors, and dryer vents and hoses to prevent and fire damage from dust, particles and debris.
When you call SERVPRO of South East Stark County at 330-823-4088 for your residential and commercial cleaning and restoration needs, you can trust that you are calling a leader in the industry. For more information visit our website.
Protect Your Louisville, OH Home Against a Flood
If an area flood causes water damage to your Louisville, Ohio home, call the experts at SERVPRO of South & East Stark County to cleanup & restore it.
If you live in a flood prone area, taking initiative-taking measures are necessary to protect your house and your valuables.
Below are a few tips before you experience a flood or water damage:
- Take pictures of your valuables for insurance inventory.
- Keep your valuables out of the basement so they are not in damage a flood water.
- Store your important documents in a waterproof container.
- Get flood insurance so you're protected against the damages of a flood.
- Create a digital version and save them on a secure thumb drive.
- Turn about your flood risk and the flood plan in your area of flood smart.gov.
- Sign up for local weather alerts.
- Raise your utilities electrical panels, water heater, furnace, etc. above the base flood elevation.
- Use a battery-back up for your sump pump in case it fails.
- Utilities are the number one reason that people file claims and most typically have to pay out-of-pocket because the claim is less than or equal to their deductible.
- Keep a supply of sandbags plywood, plastic sheeting, or lumber to protect homes and valuables from flooding.
It is crucial that homeowners are careful when it comes to flood waters, damage, and other forms of water damage in and around their structure. It’s not always safe because some water can be toxic or filled with bacteria, and many people end up hurt trying to clean up on their own. Safety first is always the answer, and that means calling for professional help when necessary. Missing even one area of moisture in any homes can create the perfect breading grounds for mold, mildew, and many other issues that cause more expensive repairs.
Visit https://www.SERVPROsoutheaststarkcounty.com/ more information on water damage. If you experience a water damage from a flood, please call our team at 330-823-4088.
Three Reasons Why Water Damage is Not a DIY Project - Call SERVPRO
SERVPRO technicians use a hygrometer to check for moisture in your home or business after a water damage.
Three Reasons Why Water Damage is Not a DIY Project
1. Equipment: Do you own a hygrometer and know how to use it? A hygrometer, a moisture meter is a device used to measure the moisture content of the structure, structural components, and contents. Do you know what equipment can siphon the water out of your carpeting? An emergency cleaning restoration company crew does. When you hire these experts, you will not need to worry about what equipment to buy or how to use it. This saves you both money and time.
2. Mold Damage: Did you know that mold spores, can begin spreading in as little as 48 hours? Multi growth is a major risk in homes and businesses that have recently experienced a flood. These spores are known to cause allergy symptoms, As well as damage of property and belongings. Emergency cleaning services will begin tackling water damage right away, using the proper mold remediation techniques to prevent mold growth.
3. Insurance claims: A reputable emergency restoration and cleaning company will have experience working with insurance companies. They can manage communications with your insurance provider, including processing paperwork and overseeing your claim. This will give you peace of mind and allow you to begin getting your life back to normal.
When you need water damage restoration services fast, go with her trusted professionals at SERVPRO of South and East Stark County. We are in the Louisville and Alliance area. Our certified technicians provide a wide range of services including storm damage restoration services, water damage restoration, and mold mitigation services. Call us today at 330-823-4088.